Red Skin Potato Soup
photo by LilPinkieJ
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 8 red potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 small onions, Chopped
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 8 ounces chicken breasts, cooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or milk for less fat)
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- salt & pepper
- Cut potatoes (do not peel) in 1/4 and simmer in water in large pot till tender, then drain and set aside.
- In the same pot, melt 1 Tbl. butter, add onions and saute' till soft.
- Mash flour with the rest of the butter, then add to pot, mix in the broth, stirring till it thickens (add about 1-2 more Tbls. of the flour if desired) mixture will not be very thick.
- Mashed the potatoes until smooth, leaving some chunks.
- Add to broth with chopped chicken. Stir till well mixed and simmer 20 minutes. Add sour cream, 1/2 & 1/2 and seasonings.
- Simmer till heated. Before serving stir in grated cheese.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was really good. I did peel my potatoes, as I have learned that I just don't like the peel left on it. Also, I did not notice the recipe contained chicken - so did not add anything. I was able to reduce a bit of the butter by sprinkling the flour right onto the onion and stirring until it was fully incorporated, then adding the broth. The sour cream really added a lot to the flavor. I need to remember to add a bay leaf next time, I think that also adds a nice dimension to this type of soup.
see 5 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>? Hi! My name is Teresa.? My husband and I like to take RV trips but it seems lately we just us it for vintage motorcross races. I enjoy hiking, snowshoeing, have done some rock climbing but age is creeping up on my poor old bones. Anything to do with the outdoors I enjoy, so why do I live in rainy Washington state? We have 2 wonderful children, both grown. My son lives in LA and my daughter and her husband recently moved back in the area with their little boy...our grandson... who just turned?5 years old. We have a granddaughter who lives close by...she just turned 23 this year. She's a sweetheart.? Life is good when you have a son and a?daughter and they?gift?you with a granddaughter and grandson. :)??</p>