Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Best potato soup recipe I've made.It is our family tradition to eat this after Trick-or-Treating.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs red potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 celery ribs, diced
- 3 slices bacon, strips diced (I usually use the thick cut bacon)
- 2 quarts milk
- 4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3⁄4 cup butter or 3⁄4 cup margarine
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, minced
- cheddar cheese, shredded
- green onion, chopped
- Place potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute the onion, celery and bacon until vegetables are tender; drain well. Add the milk, water, bouillon, salt and pepper. Heat through (DO NOT BOIL).
- In a saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.Gradually add cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 or 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir into soup.
- Add parsley and potatoes; heat through.
- Garnish with cheese and green onions.
I've been trying to learn how to make soup but they would never come out right. This one turned out great. The hole family loved it.