Prep 45 mins
Cook 0 mins
A sweet onion relish made with red wine and dried fruit. Among other uses, this makes a great stuffing for baked onions.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lb red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped dried fruit, chopped (raisins, apricots, prunes)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- Heat oil in noncorrosive saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onions.
- Let sweat gently until onions start to give off their juices.
- Stir in sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper until the mixture starts to melt.
- Remove pan from heat, add the dried fruit and wine, return the pan to burner, cover and reduce heat to lowest setting.
- Watch and stir often, adding more wine or water as needed.
- When the onions and fruit have melded and cooked down to a jamlike consistency, taste and adjust seasoning.
- Add more vinegar if needed to balance the fruit.