1/1 Photo of Red Lentil Soup
2 hrs 15 mins
Easy, attractive in color, very healthy and freezes very well. This recipe makes a Dutch oven full.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 6 -8 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 cups red lentils, washed & thoroughly picked over
- 1 (32 ounce) box chicken broth (low salt, low fat)
- 3 -4 cups water
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon hot curry (or mild)
- 4 -6 bay leaves
- 1Saute onions in oil til soft.
- 2Add garlic, celery, and carrots & saute lightly.
- 3Add everything else & bring to boil.
- 4Turn down heat & simmer 1 1/2-2 hrs.
- 5Adjust seasonings (the broth alread has enough salt for us, but some folks will.
- 6want to add more & some will want more curry and/or cumin).
- 7I puree it right in the pot with my stick blender, or it can be cooled & zapped in
- 8a blender or food processor.
- 9We serve it with a big dollop of non-fat plain yogurt swirled into each bowl.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 256.3
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 406.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.5 g
- Sugars 2.6 g
- Protein 15.3 g