Recipe by Desperada
Spicy red beans to serve over rice or add more water for a tasty bean soup. Delicious with cornbread too.
Top Review by CJAY
I really liked these beans. Great flavor and just the right amount of spice for me. I used chorizo for the meat and served it with white rice. Made for PAC 2013. Thanks for sharing.
- 1 lb dried red beans, soaked overnight and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon sriracha hot chili sauce
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb ham
Directions See How It's Made
- Place all ingredients in a large pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more water if beans become too thick.
- Before serving, mash about a quarter of the beans against the side of the pot and stir until there is a creamy consistency.
- Serve over rice.