1 hr 20 mins
Classic Spicy red curried shrimp/prawns. YUM! I am posting this for safekeeping, as I'm donating the cookbook, Golden India, Indian Recipes...it's taking up space in the pantry, and this is the ONE RECIPE that I have this cookbook for. It's stopped me from going out so much, because this is one of the main items that I used to order. Now I can make it at home. If you've never made any Indian cuisine, this is definitely one to try, it comes together quickly and is very tasty, albeit rather spicy. I'm sure you can adjust the amount of cayenne to suit a milder palate, but I love spicy, hot foods...
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs shrimp or 2 lbs prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (I just use powdered bouillon, reconstituted.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup creamed coconut (I just eyeball half a can)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed (about one really large clove. I like garlic.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1Heat oil in a saucepan, saute chopped onion, garlic paste and ground cloves.
- 2Fry lightly, add flour, turmeric, cayenne, sugar and cinnamon.
- 3Cook gently for a few minutes.
- 4Gradually add stock and creamed coconut to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- 5Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- 6Add the shrimp/prawns and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste, cook for another ten minutes.
- 7Serve over rice. Be warned, this is not for the faint of heart! SPICY :).
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Red Curry Prawns
Serving Size: 1 (305 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 204.1
- Calories from Fat 29
- Total Fat 3.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.5 g
- Cholesterol 287.1 mg
- Sodium 1351.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 3.0 g
- Protein 32.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: