Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Classic Spicy red curried shrimp/prawns. YUM! I am posting this for safekeeping, as I'm donating the cookbook, Golden India, Indian Recipes...it's taking up space in the pantry, and this is the ONE RECIPE that I have this cookbook for. It's stopped me from going out so much, because this is one of the main items that I used to order. Now I can make it at home. If you've never made any Indian cuisine, this is definitely one to try, it comes together quickly and is very tasty, albeit rather spicy. I'm sure you can adjust the amount of cayenne to suit a milder palate, but I love spicy, hot foods...
- 2 lbs shrimp or 2 lbs prawns, cleaned and deveined
- 3⁄4 cup chicken stock (I just use powdered bouillon, reconstituted.)
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup creamed coconut (I just eyeball half a can)
- 1 teaspoon flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic, crushed (about one really large clove. I like garlic.)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons cayenne powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Heat oil in a saucepan, saute chopped onion, garlic paste and ground cloves.
- Fry lightly, add flour, turmeric, cayenne, sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook gently for a few minutes.
- Gradually add stock and creamed coconut to the pan and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer for ten minutes.
- Add the shrimp/prawns and lemon juice. Season with salt to taste, cook for another ten minutes.
- Serve over rice. Be warned, this is not for the faint of heart! SPICY :).
This was soooooooo good!!!! It has a perfect spiciness to it. I will be definitely making this again. Thanx for posting!!!