Recipe by DeSouter
This sweet-tart side dish is perfect accompaniment to any pork dish, or is good on it's own as a snack.
Top Review by 2 boys mom
I'm giving this 3 stars because I think the basic ingredients are good, it just needs more of everything. More vinegar, I used both apple cider & red wine,and more spices I just kept adding as it cooked. I also added a few juniper berries. It needed to cook A LOT longer then 1/2 hour, 3+ hours. Will do it in the crock pot next time.
- 2 heads red cabbage
- 1 tablespoon Crisco
- 4 -5 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 gingersnaps
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice cabbage very thin.
- Heat fat in large frying pan or Dutch oven, toss in the cabbage.
- Add vinegar and salt, stir gently.
- Stick cloves in a medium size onion and bury it under the cabbage.
- Add water to cover and rest of spices, place a tight fitting lid on the pan and simmer very slowly 30 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Add water as needed while cooking.