Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is different from traditional red beans and rice recipes as it is not spicy. I love red beans and rice but needed a version my kids would eat, I knew it had to be big on flavor but not be spicy at all. So I came up with this and we all enjoyed it.
- 1 lb dry red beans
- half a pound bacon
- 1 lb smoked sausage or 1 lb your favorite sausage
- 1 small sweet onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 3 beef bouillon cubes
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup original long grain rice
- Rinse beans and then put then in a large pot. Then chop up your onion and bacon and mince your garlic then add this all to the pot of beans. Cover with water and bring to a boil. After it comes to a boil reduce to a simmer and at this point chop and add your smoked sausage, beef boulion, and the tomato paste then continue to simmer covered for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare the rice as directed on box or bag of rice. The 1 cup of rice I listed will make 4 servings.
- You may add the cooked rice to the beans when they are done if you like. We just served our beans over the rice. Also salt your water when you first start cooking the beans it tastes better then doing it after. And if your beans get to thick just add a little more water or beef broth to thin them a bit. If you use beef broth I would cut back on salt or use low sodium beef broth. Hope you enjoy them!