Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 96 hrs
This is my mother's recipe that she got from a novel years ago. It takes a little time, but is definitely worth it.
- 1 lb dried red kidney beans
- 2 quarts cold water
- 1 meaty ham bone or 1 slice raw ham, cubed (thick slice)
- 1⁄2 lb hot sausage, sliced thick (I use pepperoni)
- 1 bunch scallion, including green tops
- 1 green pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 3 medium onions
- 1⁄8 teaspoon thyme
- 4 bay leaves
- hot pepper sauce (I use Louisiana or Franks)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooked white rice
- Rinse kidney beans twice.
- Put in large heavy pot (at least 3qt size).
- Add water, ham, and sausage.
- Set uncovered on burner at medium heat.
- Chop and add scallions, green peppers, celery, and onions.
- Add thyme and bay leaves.
- When mixture boils, reduce heat and cover.
- Stir every 20-30 minutes for three hours.
- Then, with wooden spoon, mash about 1/4 of beans against side of pot.
- If they don't mash easily try again in about a half an hour.
- Fort minutes after mashing beans, taste and season with hot pepper sauce.
- Don't use too much-- supposed to be a subtle flavor.
- Cook another half hour while preparing rice.
- Ladle beans and sauce over rice (the vegetables should have pretty much cooked away and the mashed beans thicken the sauce to a creamy consistency).
- It is even better the next day.
I too obtained this recipe from a novel...if you're wondering, it was Forever Amber. This is absolutely the best. So we call it Amber's Red Beans and Rice!
I have been making this for years. It is the ONLY red beans and rice recipe I will use. I too got it from a novel. The story talks about it being peasant food but the heroine just LOVES red beans and rice. I don't use hot sausage but a nice flavorful local sausage. I also use 1/4 tsp thyme because I had made a typo when copying the recipe from the book and could never find the book again. It takes all day but it is very much worth it. There are 4 people in my family and this makes more than enough for two meals. It only gets better being in the refridgerator. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for submitting this recipe.