Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
Don't have salsa or greens on hand? Serve these covered with warmed tomato sauce and sprinkled with shredded Cheddar or other cheese. (From Betty Crocker's "Money Saving Meals" cookbook)
- 118.29 ml long-grain white rice (uncooked)
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml Fiber One cereal
- 2 (878.83 g) can red beans or 2 (878.83 g) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 59.14 ml green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 eggs or 2 egg whites, beaten
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 4.92 ml cumin
- 1.23 ml ground red pepper
- salad greens (optional)
- 118.29 ml salsa
- Cook rice in water as directed on package.
- Meanwhile, place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag; seal bag and crush with rolling pin or meat mallet (or crush in food processor).
- In a large bowl, place beans; mash with potato masher or fork.
- Stir in onion, bell pepper, cooked rice, egg, 2 tbsp of the cereal, the chili powder, cumin and red pepper.
- Shape into 8 patties; coat patties completely with remaining cereal.
- Spray 10" skillet with cooking spray.
- Cook 4 patties in skillet over Medium heat about 10 minutes, turning once, until brown.
- Remove patties from skillet; cover and keep warm while cooking remaining patties.
- Serve patties on salad greens (if desired) and top with salsa.