Yrhaven (aka Condiment Queen)'s Note:
This recipe was given to me by an elderly woman who had brought lunch to another elderly woman that I was taking care of. I don't know know the origin of this type of potato salad, and tried to search Zaar to make sure I wasn't duplicating, but admit that I did not search all 1200 potato salad recipes. I have never tasted a potato salad that was so good, so I got the recipe from her. The amounts are approximate as she just told me the ingredients, and I eyeball it, of course it also depends on how much you want to make, so adapt it accordingly. She did insist however that you have to use Hellmann's mayo. My husband, who Never eats potato salad eats and actually enjoys it. It has a nice mellow flavor and texture with-out the typical relish and mustard, I'm sure all of the eggs contribute to that. I took it to a church potluck and got raves about it. It is definitely not low fat, not sure how it would adapt. Another example that sometimes simple IS better. Hope you enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Peel and dice potatoes, Boil in salted water until tender.
- 2Hard boil eggs, peel, chop. (obviously lol).
- 3Finely chop onion.
- 4*1-2 ribs of finely diced celery is nice, but was not in the original recipe.
- 5A dash of garlic powder or garlic salt is nice too.
- 6Judge the amount of Mayo to your taste and # of potatoes, but do add it until it is nice and creamy.
- 7Mix all ingredients together when warm, serve fresh with-out chilling, if you can, it is good chilled too, but particularly creamy when warm-to room temperature.
- 8It is also best to use the hardboiled eggs right after cooking, it's ok if they are slightly cooled from peeling, but best in this, if they are freshly cooked.
- 9Most of the prep time is attributed to the peeling and chopping of the potatoes.
- 10*Of course, because of the Mayo you won't want to leave it out too long.
- 11I have also heard (unknown it it's true, but I never take the chance) not to serve anything that has Mayo in it, with Sterling Silver servers.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Really Good, Simple, Fresh Potato Salad- No Mustard- No Relish
Serving Size: 1 (311 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 600.3
- Calories from Fat 252
- Total Fat 28.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.4 g
- Cholesterol 333.2 mg
- Sodium 531.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 16.6 g