Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
The fish is not really raw. It is cooked by the acid in the lemon juice and vinigar. This salad always disappears at a BBQ, I can never make enough.
- 1 kg fresh fish fillet (any white flesh fish will do)
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 3⁄4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1 cucumber
- 4 tomatoes
- 8 shallots or 8 spring onions
- 2 medium onions
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 2 large cooked beetroots
- Remove skin and bones from fish, cut fish into 2.5 cm (1 in.) pieces.
- Place fish into bowl, add lemon juice, salt and enough vinegar to cover fish; mix well.
- Cover bowl, refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, drain fish well.
- Place mayonnaise, lemon rind and sour cream in bowl, add fish, mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Place into large serving dish. Place separate bowls around fish containing chopped cucumber, peeled and chopped tomatoes, chopped shallots, peeled and sliced onions, chopped egg-white with sieved egg-yolk on top, and sliced beetroot.
- Guests help themselves to fish, them a selection of the accomaniments.