Recipe by Baton Twirling
Published by Chatelaine on 1/1/2011, I cook the ravioli at least half way before adding to the rest of the ingredients otherwise the pasta will be pasty.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 500 g Italian sausage, removed from casing
- 796 ml crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 cup cream, 35%
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 227 g cremini mushrooms
- 700 g ravioli, preferably fresh spinach and cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Heat a large pot over medium.
- Add oil, then onion and garlic.
- Cook until onion is soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add sausage meat.
- Mash with a fork, stirring often to keep meat crumbly.
- Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and oregano.
- Season with fresh pepper.
- Stir in cream and milk until combined.
- Set aside 1 cup of sauce.
- Add mushrooms and ravioli to pot.
- Stir to coat.
- Pour into a 9 x 13-in. baking dish.
- Press down to even out ravioli.
- Pour reserved sauce overtop, then sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Bake in centre of oven, uncovered, until ravioli are cooked through and cheese is melted, about 20 minutes.