Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious vegetable side dish
- 1 small eggplant, peeled, quartered and cut in 1/8 inch slices
- 3 medium tomatoes, cut in quarters
- 2 zucchini, cut in 1/8 inch slices
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and cut in 1/4 inch strips
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- parsley, chopped
- Combine eggplant, tomatoes, zucchini, onion, green pepper and garlic.
- Add remaining ingredients except parsley and toss until well mixed.
- Divide mixture into 6 portions.
- Wrap each in 16 inch square of heavy duty foil and fold with a double fold leaving a space for expansion. Seal ends.
- Place packages on one side of barbeque grill over medium to high heat.
- Cook, turning once, 30 minutes or until zucchini is tender. Remove from heat.
- Cut an X in top of package and roll back corners.
- Sprinkle with parsley.
I have never had ratatouille before but we are trying to eat vegetarian at least twice a week. This was what the kids wanted to try so I added it to our list and it's a keeper. I left out the peppers since I don't like them and we baked ours in 3 packets in the oven but everything else was as written. It was lovely as a main dish with a little sprinkling of cheese and some flatbread to scoop it up. Thanks!
Although I haven't used it over an open fire yet, which is generally where I use foil packets, I have used the basic recipe, plus balsamic vinegar, after sweating the eggplant and zucchini with salt. It was the hit of the evening. even the people who at first wouldn't try it because they hate eggplant, were coming back for seconds once someone convinced them to try a bite.