Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
When berries are in plentiful supply, I can think of nothing better than to make your own sorbet. This recipe comes from the UK chef Nigel Slater.
- 500 g raspberries
- 95 g caster sugar
- 95 ml water
- 6 tablespoons creme de cassis or 6 tablespoons Creme de Cacao
- 1 small lemon, juice of
- Put the sugar and water in a pot and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- This is likely to happen before the water boils.
- Do not stir, but instead set the mixture aside to cool and then put in the fridge until it is completely cold.
- Afterwards, mix the berries, cold syrup and creme de cassis in a food processor or blender.
- Whiz until smooth and then, if desired, push through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- You can leave the seeds in if you like a little crunch in your sorbet.
- Freeze the mixture in an ice cream maker.
- You can also do it by hand, stirring the frozen edges into the center every hour or so until it is nearly frozen.
- However, the texture will not be as velvety as in an ice cream maker.