Recipe by Ackman
Here in WI where beer is KING, we love our fish dipped in beer batter & deep fried to a golden brown! You can also use this for deep-fried "WI Cheese Curds*, Onion Rings or whatever your little heart desires! .
- 2 lbs frozen cod (thawed)
- 1 cup flour (unbleached prefered)
- 1⁄2 cup flour (for dredging)
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons paprika
- 12 ounces beer (bottle or can)
- canola oil (for the deep fryer)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR BEST RESULTS: A couple hours before making the batter, open the can/bottle of beer & let set open at room temperature.
- Fill your deep fryer to the recommended amount w/ canola oil.
- Turn the the the fryer on to 350° to 375°.
- If need be, cut the fish into 2 inch pieces.
- Rinse the fish in cold water & pat dry with paper towel.
- Place the 1/2 cup flour & the cornstrach in a zip-lock type bag.
- Add the fish to the bag & toss until all the fish is well coated -- set aside.
- Sift together all the remaining dry ingredients,.
- Stir in the beer until you have a smooth, thin batter -- when coatig the fish, you should be able to just barely see the fish throught the batter.
- Dip the fish into the batter & carefully place into pre-heated deep fryer -- fry 3-4 pieces at a time, depending on the size of your fryer.
- Fry for 5-7 minutes until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Serve w/ your favorite sauce &/or lemon juice.
- HINT: If frying cheese curds, freeze the curds for AT LEAST an hour before frying & the fry for only 1-2 minutes -- watch carefully so not to overcook!