Non-Alcoholic Beer Batter for Fish
photo by Jamilahs_Kitchen
- Ready In:
6-10 pieces of small fish chunks
- 2⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup non-alcoholic beer
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cumin, cayenne pepper, black pepper and garlic powder in a bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix non-alcoholic beer, egg and oil until well blended.
- Stir non-alcoholic mixture into flour mixture.
- It will be a bit thick, but should be smooth. If too lumpy, add just a splash more of non-alcoholic beer, that's what i did.
- Dip fish into batter, it will coat thick, its good that way, but if you want less batter just shake some off. Its a bit tricky, but just use your fingers and maybe a spoon to help coat.
- Put into hot oil and fry until golden brown.
- Drain on paper towels and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Batter was great! I used alcoholic beer & subbed Old Bay seasoning for half of the cumin & reduced salt by half. I used it to make Mahi Mahi fingers (cut each filet lengthwise, which also expedited cooking). I had a little batter left over so I sliced an onion & made some incredible onion rings to accompany the fish. Served with Choula hot sauce & Parmesan broccoli from this site. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome! I used "real" beer. But non alocholic would be tasty too. I just like having an excuse to drink the leftover. :) This is so good. I used cod and it was excellent. But I think it would be good on onion rings, fries, green beans or any other veggie. I first found this recipe last week and I'm already printing it out again to make dinner tonight. Thanks for posting!
This is SO GOOD - Definitely AMAZING!! I'm never disappointed with any of your recipes Cooking in Cairo! I made this batter for Fish Tacos along with your other recipe for that cilantro sauce. It was SO GOOD. This batter is light, yet crisp and has great flavor. I battered cod and snapper. I also dipped mushrooms into the batter and fried them as well. EXCELLENT RECIPE!! Keep them coming!
Batter was great! I used alcoholic beer and subbed Old Bay seasoning for half of the cumin and reduced salt by half. I used it to make Mahi Mahi fingers (cut each filet lengthwise, which also expedited cooking). I had a little batter left over so I sliced an onion and made some incredible onion rings to accompany the fish. Served with Choula hot sauce and Parmesan broccoli from this site. Thanks for sharing!