Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
This requires 24 hour refrigeration time (not in prep time) Recipe source: Simply Simpatico - a community cookbook
- 1 (3 -4 lb) beef brisket or 1 (3 -4 lb) boneless bottom round roast
- 2 garlic cloves, cut into silvers
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 cup vinegar
- 3 tablespoons bacon drippings or 3 tablespoons salad oil
- 2 cups coffee
- 2 cups water
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and quartered
- 12 small white onions
- With a sharp knife make slits in the meat and insert garlic.
- Place meat in a bowl and place onion on top of meat and pour vinegar over.
- Refrigerate 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Drain and discard vinegar.
- Pat roast dry.
- Heat oil or bacon drippings in a dutch oven or large skillet and brown meat. Pour off excess oil and add coffee and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 3 hours or until tender.
- After 2 hours (or 1 hour before end of cooking time) add carrots and onions and season with salt and pepper.
- If desired, gravy can be thickened with 2 tablespoons flour mixed with 1/4 cold water.
- Serve over noodles, if desired.
Very good. I used bacon drippings to brown the roast. It fell apart when I removed it from the coffee/water. I did not make any gravy just poured some juice over the whole roast. Make sure you do salt and pepper it...my kids said it needed it and I forgot before I put it on the table.