1/1 Photo of Raisin Walnut Wheat Bread
3 hrs 30 mins
Red Apple Guy's Note:
A braided loaf, this is one of the more delicious breads I've made. It's a Bernard Clayton recipe, modified with 50% whole wheat flour. Excellent for breakfast. I don't ice the loaf.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (unbleached)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour (if needed)
- 2 teaspoons instant yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1/4 cups water (120 F)
- 1/4 cup shortening (room temperature)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 1In large mixing bowl or mixer bowl, add the whole wheat flour and the non-flour dry ingredients.
- 2Pour in the hot water and add the shortening.
- 3Beat with a wooden spoon 150 strokes or with the mixer flat blade for 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in the fruit and nuts.
- 5Add the flour slowly, mixing with a wooden spoon and then by hand until a rough, soft mass is formed. If using a mixer, use dough hook and add flour until dough forms a soft ball around the hook and moves with it.
- 6Knead for 10 minutes, adding flour if too wet and a little water if too dry.
- 7Place dough in a clean, oiled bowl and let it rise until doubled in volume. Another test is when a finger poked into it leaves a dent that remains.
- 8Divide the dough into 3 equal pieces and gently roll into 3 strands, 20 inches long. If the dough resists stretching, cover and wait 10 minutes until the dough relaxes. The strands should be tapered at the ends.
- 9Braid the strands loosely and seal the ends, tucking them under.
- 10Cover the loaf with plastic wrap and let it rise until doubled in volume at room temperature. I place the loaf in the fridge overnight and the next day I let it warm and rise for about and hour and a half.
- 11Heat oven to 375F about 20 minutes before baking.
- 12Bake on a baking stone or baking sheet for about 30 minutes or until 200F internal temperature and remove and cool on a wire rack.
- 13Mix the topping ingredients and spread or drizzle on the loaf while the loaf is still slightly warm.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raisin Walnut Wheat Bread
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.4
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 1.0 mg
- Sodium 179.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 5.8 g