Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I've made a couple different flavors and like cherry the best. It is one of those things that some adults love and some adults think is horrible. Kids think it is cool. Bright and cheery. Works great if you mix the colors (after it is prepared) to have team or school colors or appropriate colors for a holiday.
- 8 cups popped popcorn
- 1 cup peanuts
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar or 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package Jello gelatin, any flavor
- Heat oven to 300°F Line a 15x10x1-inch pan with foil or wax paper. Place popcorn and nuts in large bowl.
- Heat butter and syrup in small saucepan on low heat. Stir in sugar and gelatin. Bring to boil on medium heat. Reduce heat to low; gently simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour syrup immediately over popcorn, tossing to coat well. Spread popcorn in prepared pan, using two forks to spread evenly. Bake 10 minutes. (Several reviewers recommend stirring it and then baking 5 more minutes.) Cool.
- Remove from pan and break into small pieces.
I wanted to make rainbow popcorn for my daughters bday party so I printed out 2 diff recipes to try. This one was perfect!! Except I added 1 tablespoon of water as my first batch seemed too thick to cover evenly, I didn't use peanuts, and I baked 5 extra minutes after turning a bit after the first 10 minutes. My 2 yr old was helping me to break it up and was eating more than she was putting into the container!! I know it's gonna be a huge hit at the party!!
Oh and I should add something...I made 7 batches of this popcorn this morning (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and 2 failed batches) and after the first 5, I figured out a MUST DO step for the crispiest popcorn. After you bake 10 minutes, Definitely stir, turning over the popcorn and try to spread it as one-layer as possible, then bake 5 more minutes. Another great thing I learned...I wanted yellow but didn't want lemon or pineapple flavor, so instead of jello, I added 1/2 cup white sugar and several drops of food color. It came out the crispiest, perfectly candied of all!! I am going to try this with brown sugar and a tablespoon of vanilla to make caramel popcorn.
Yummy!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is so good. I and my kids love it. I followed mamavelelka's advice and cooked it an extra 5 min and it was perfect. not chewy at all. This is definitely a keeper. I think this will make some really cute and easy gifts.
This was fun and easy! My daughter made this for a fellowship at our pastor's house. We used strawberry jello, but would be great with any type. Thank you!