Recipe by Daphne2002
This is a very inexpensive and easy recipe that my grandmother gave me.
Top Review by Trixyinaz
Not bad! DH and I enjoyed very much. I didn't read the directions very good and poured the whole box of cornbread into the mixing bowl. When it looked funny I read the ingredients again and realized I should have put only 3/4 cup. I ended up adding milk as per the box instructions (to make up for my screw-up) and it turned out just fine. I would highly recommend doing it this way anyway. I had barely enough mix to spread over the entire casserole as it was. We felt the pie could have used some beans such as garbanzo or kidney beans. Also, we used Turkey instead of beef and felt the turkey didn't give it as much flavor had we used beef. Next time we will ONLY USE BEEF. Other than that, it was very good.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 (12 ounce) can whole kernel corn
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 1⁄4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup cornbread mix
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef with onion in skillet, stirring until ground beef is crumbly; drain.
- Stir in corn, green pepper, soup, water, chili powder, and salt.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Pour into 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Combine cornmeal mix, egg and oil in bowl; mix well.
- Spoon over casserole.
- Bake at 350 degrees or until topping is brown.