photo by topnotchdesigner
- Ready In:
- 1 (2 lb) bag live mussels (I've found that frozen mussels work great too, though a bit more expensive)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 - 3⁄4 cup red wine (inexpensive jug wine is fine)
- 1 -3 garlic clove, grated or chopped
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot cooked linguine
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- If using live mussels, dump into colander and rinse well.
- Any mussel that does not close (at least a little) when sprayed with water is no good and should be discarded.
- Remove any"beards" remaining.
- Put mussels into a heavy skillet and add tomatoes, oil, wine, garlic, and seasoning.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Mussels are done when the shells open up (discard any that remain shut).
- If using frozen mussels, cook until completely heated through.
- Serve over linguine with crusty bread to sop up the juice.
- Accompany with remaining wine and a salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!