Prep 45 mins
Cook 10 mins
This seems like a LOT of ingredients, but the flavor is out of this world! I've never yet made this meal in 30 minutes (darned potatoes!), but it is SOOO worth it. Serve with a nice crusty bread and you'll be set!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 24 ounces beef sirloin, cut into 4 - 6oz steaks
- salt and pepper
- 1 leek, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter, cut in small cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1 carrot, 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 celery ribs, with green tops, chopped
- 1 lb red potatoes, quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup dry red wine or 1 cup broth
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon grape jelly or 1 tablespoon red currant jelly
- Heat a deep, heavy bottomed skillet over high heat, then add 1 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil.
- Season meat with salt and pepper, then caramelize the meat 2 minutes on each side.
- Cut leek lengthwise, then cut into 1/2 inch slices across.
- Wash under running water in colander, separating all the layers, drain well.
- Remove steaks from pan and reduce heat to medium high.
- Add butter to the pan and the leeks, garlic, carrot, celery and potatoes.
- Season veggies with salt and pepper.
- Add thyme and bay leaves.
- Saute veggies 10 minutes.
- Add flour, cook 1 minute.
- Whisk in red wine and reduce 1 minute.
- Whisk in broth and bring to a bubble.
- Stir in jelly.
- Slide meat into pan.
- Simmer over medium heat 1 to 10 minutes.
- (After cooking the steaks, and letting them rest a few minutes, I cube the meat.
- We serve this stew-style in big shallow bowls.
- It's easier for us to have the meat cubed into bite sized portions.).