This is from Express Lane Meals.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb short-cut pasta, such as penne (I used Dreamfields)
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, once around the pan
- 1 lb bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1 large head broccoli
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I use more)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese or 1/2 cup pecorino romano cheese, plus some to pass at the table
- 1Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente.
- 2Heads up, you will need to use about 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking liquid for the sauce before you drain the pasta.
- 3In a small mixing bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, lemon zest, salt, and a lot of freshly ground black pepper.
- 4Reserve the ricotta mixture on the countertop and let it come up to room temperature The flavors of the cheese and lemon will develop as the cheese warms up.
- 5Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat with the EVOO.
- 6Add the sausage and break it up with the back of a wooden spoon into a small bite-size pieces.
- 7Really go at breaking the meat up; it will make a difference in the end.
- 8Cook the meat until brown, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- 9While the sausage is browning, prepare the broccoli.
- 10Cut the broccoli tops into small florets. Remove the fibrous outer layer of the stem (just square it off using your knife), then thinly slice the tender center portion of the stem.
- 11Once the sausage is brown, remove it to a paper-towel-lined plate.
- 12Return the skillet to the heat and add all of the broccoli and the chopped onion. Spread the veggies out in an even layer in the pan, season with some salt and pepper, and let the broccoli brown up a bit before stirring, about 2 minutes.
- 13Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and continue to cook 2 minutes more.
- 14Add the sausage back to the skillet along with the chicken stock.
- 15Ladle in some cooking water from the pasta and bring up to a simmer.
- 16Cook until the broccoli is tender and the liquids have reduced slightly, about 2 minutes.
- 17Add the lemon juice, parsley, and cooked, well-drained pasta.
- 18Toss to combine and simmer 1 last minute to allow the pasta to soak in the sauce and flavors.
- 19Turn the heat off, add the grated cheese, and toss to combine.
- 20To serve, place a large dollop of the pepper-lemon-ricotta mixture into each of 4 shallow bowls and bury it with the hot pasta.
- 21Once you are at the table, mix it up with a fork to distribute the ricotta cheese. Serve with extra grated cheese.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rachael Ray's Pasta With Broccoli and Sausage W/Ricotta Surprise
Serving Size: 1 (396 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 854.4
- Calories from Fat 216
- Total Fat 24.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.6 g
- Cholesterol 63.0 mg
- Sodium 1085.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 109.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.4 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 51.3 g