Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Cuban style Oxtail Stew. Recipe courtesy Chef Alex Garcia Food Network
- 5 lbs oxtails, cut in 2 inch thick rounds
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup port wine
- 1 large Spanish onion, diced
- 1 large carrot
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 italian frying bell peppers, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (10 ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1⁄2 can chipotle chile in adobo
- 1 cup sherry wine
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch thyme, chopped
- Coat oxtail pieces with the flour and Cajun seasoning, and sear them in 3 tablespoons oil and remove from the pan.
- Then degrease the pan and deglaze with port and reserve for later use.
- In a separate pot caramelize the onions, carrot, celery and peppers, then deglaze with the red wine.
- Add the oxtails to the vegetables.
- Continue by adding in the tomatoes, chipotle, sherry, bay leaves and thyme and simmer for approximately 3 hours.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Some ingredients not usually found in a Cuban kitchen. I love chipotle, but not in my Rabo encendio,celery?, cajun seasoning?
Very tasty. Excellent serve with rice and corn bread.