Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
April Fool the kids and have a good laugh yourself!!!
Make and share this "Grilled Cheese" recipe from Food.com.
- 2 slices poundcake (store bought is great)
- 1 cup white frosting (canned is fine)
- yellow food coloring
- red food coloring
- Cut the pound cake into bread-like slices.
- Toast them in a toaster oven or carefully in the toaster,just until they turn golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Stack two slices for each sandwich and cut the stack in half diagonally (slicing the sandwich before you fill it makes for fewer crumbs).
- Tint the frosting by stirring in a few drops of yellow and red food coloring (more yellow than red) to get a shade of orange that resembles American cheese.
- Carefully spread frosting between the slices of each half sandwich.
- If you mound the frosting on one slice, then top it with the other and gently press down, the frosting will ooze out a bit and look all the more like melted cheese.
Rating the idea, rather than the recipe, as I didn't follow it at all, but used it for inspiration. :-) The kids were home, so we had a "fool Daddy" day yesterday. Hubby always comes in and if the kids have left any snack on their plates that he deems yummy, he eats it, and he's a sucker for leftover grilled cheese... So, I toasted sourdough in a skillet with butter, and melted marshmallows in a bowl, then tinted them to be American cheese orange, and made a sandwich that looked just like a leftover half of grilled cheese. The look on his face after the first bite was priceless, and the kids loved getting one over on Dad. Thanks so much for the idea!
Made this Fooled Ya Recipe up last night - too much fun !
Quick and Easy and looks just like little toasted grilled cheese sandwiches !
Next time maybe I will make "bread sized" Pound cake - but....that would mean more work ! but they are Perfect just like they are !
The pound cake at my store was too small to cut into comparable slices of "toast," so I used angel food cake instead, which at my store was large enough to imitate the diagonal slices. I also substituted french vanilla instant pudding instead of icing for the cheese, which meant no additional food coloring was necessary, and it was easy to spread on the delicate cake. VERY realistic looking! Everyone was fooled to look at it, and then confused because it was sweet to taste :-)