Recipe by LAURIE
April Fool the kids and have a good laugh yourself!!!
Top Review by Queen Roachie
Rating the idea, rather than the recipe, as I didn't follow it at all, but used it for inspiration. :-) The kids were home, so we had a "fool Daddy" day yesterday. Hubby always comes in and if the kids have left any snack on their plates that he deems yummy, he eats it, and he's a sucker for leftover grilled cheese... So, I toasted sourdough in a skillet with butter, and melted marshmallows in a bowl, then tinted them to be American cheese orange, and made a sandwich that looked just like a leftover half of grilled cheese. The look on his face after the first bite was priceless, and the kids loved getting one over on Dad. Thanks so much for the idea!
- 2 slices poundcake (store bought is great)
- 1 cup white frosting (canned is fine)
- yellow food coloring
- red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut the pound cake into bread-like slices.
- Toast them in a toaster oven or carefully in the toaster,just until they turn golden brown.
- Cool for a few minutes.
- Stack two slices for each sandwich and cut the stack in half diagonally (slicing the sandwich before you fill it makes for fewer crumbs).
- Tint the frosting by stirring in a few drops of yellow and red food coloring (more yellow than red) to get a shade of orange that resembles American cheese.
- Carefully spread frosting between the slices of each half sandwich.
- If you mound the frosting on one slice, then top it with the other and gently press down, the frosting will ooze out a bit and look all the more like melted cheese.