Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
I got the idea for this from the Whole Foods recipe website, and, of course, added some extra spices to make it a bit more interesting. This was a great recipe to clean out the leftover quinoa, dried cranberries and almonds I had in my cubard! Quinoa is naturally wheat and gluten free and is a good source of complete protein for vegans and vegetarians. Be sure to rinse your quinoa really well under cold running water to remove any of the bitter coating from the outside! If you do not have garam masala, your favorite curry poweder will work too.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2⁄3 cup dried cranberries
- 2⁄3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Heat oil in a medium pot over medium high heat.
- Add onions and cook, stirring often, until just softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add quinoa, corriander and garam masala and toast, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and salt and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in cranberries, cover again and continue to cook until liquid is completely absorbed and quinoa is tender, 8 to 10 minutes more.
- Toss with almonds and serve.
Very good and easy to prepare. I used red quinoa. I did follow the original recipe which omits the coriander and garam masala.
Followed recipe as written except for stirring the cranberries in with the almonds at the end of cooking time. Fast, easy and very good especially the next day as a filling for whole wheat tortillas. Thanks for posting! Reviewed for Veg Tag July.