Recipe by What's Cooking?
This pilaf is hearty and high in protein, and tastes great as a cold quinoa salad the next day.
Top Review by glitteryfrosting
Made as recipe stated. Was too salty, would advise to cut salt down, or leave out completely. Would advise to add about 1/4 more quinoa. Would adjust the spices next time. Preferred it warm rather than cold.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 2 cups chicken stock or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground sage
- 1⁄4 cup lightly toasted pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat olive oil in 1-quart saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, and sauté until they begin to brown.
- Lower heat to medium and add garlic and carrots.
- Sauté for 1-2 minutes, then add quinoa, pepper, cardamom and sage.
- Stir constantly for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 15 minutes or until all liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender.
- Gently stir in raisins, cover and allow to sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lightly toasted pine nuts, fluff with a fork, and serve.