Chicken & Quinoa Salad
This salad is high in protein and simple to make. I use chicken that has been grilled, but any leftover chicken would work. I might also try it with some baked tofu in place of the chicken.
- Ready In:
- 2 cups water or 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup slivered almonds
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (about 2 medium breasts)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grapes, quartered
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring water and a pinch of salt to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the quinoa, stir, cover, reduce heat to simmer for 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat & remove lid to cool.
- In a skillet over medium heat, toast the almonds until light brown.
- In a large bowl, mix the oil, vinegar, salt & pepper.
- Stir in the quinoa to coat.
- Add the chicken and grapes and toss to combine.
- Serve sprinkled with the toasted almonds.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Yum! This makes a wonderful packed lunch or main dish salad. I used rotisserie chicken and enjoyed as is, but it may also be served over lettuce and other chopped veggies. Was searching to post a recipe I found at wholefoodsmarket.com that's so similar I won't repost. That recipe uses only 2 T white wine vinegar, 2 c shredded chicken, and 1/2 cup sliced almonds. Thanks for sharing!Reply
This is one of the few lunches that I can eat at Noon and not be starving by 5:00...it keeps you going all afternoon! The texture makes regular chicken salad seem boring--the quinoa is like pop rocks in your mouth, mixed with refreshing bites of cold grape. I would recommend using flavored vinegar or olive oil and/or adding herbs. If you use this on a sandwich, you may also want to add some mayo to bind it together more.Reply
see 1 more