Recipe by Chef mariajane
Look for fresh mini mozzarella balls in the gourmet cheese section of your supermarket. This is an easy meal to prepare, and a delicious one ot eat!! Campanelle can also be used for the pasta.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 5 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- table salt
- 1 lb fusilli
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella balls, mini, drained and cut in half
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring 4 quarts water to boil in large pot.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil, garlic, and pepper flakes in medium saucepan over medium heat until fragrant but not brown, about 2 minutes. Stir in crushed and diced tomatoes, bring to simmer, and cook until slightly thickened, 15-20 minutes. Stir in 3 tablespoons basil, sugar and 1/2 teaspoons salt.
- Add 1 tablespoons salt and pasta to boiling water. Cook until al dente. Reserve 1/4 cup cooking water, drain pasta, and transfer back to pot. Stir in sauce and remaining tablespoons oil, and cook over medium heat until heated through (adding reserved water if pasta seems dry), about 1 minute. Stir in mozzarella and season with salt. Serve, sprinkling with remaining 2 tablespoons basil and Parmesan.