Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is from the 1943 Recipes For Today Cookbook. It is a very quick recipe, and it definitely uses items that you'd keep in your pantry. Good and simple.
- 6 -8 ounces broken spaghetti, cooked and seasoned
- 1⁄2 lb chopped beef or 1⁄2 lb diced liver
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, cut in thin strips
- 2⁄3 cup tomato paste or 2⁄3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups condensed consomme (or 1/4 cups water and 2 bouillon cube)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- To cook spaghetti, drop it into a large amount of boiling salted water. Lift or stir with fork frequently to keep spaghetti from sticking to pan.
- Boil until just tender. Drain well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Separate meat into small pieces with fork and season lightly. Place in hot skillet and heat until red color just disappears, tossing with fork.
- Remove meat,leaving drippings in skillet. Add onions and green pepper to drippings, cover and cook gently 5 minutes. (Add more fat if necessary).
- Then add meat, tomato paste, and remaining ingredients. Simmer gently 10 mintues.
- Add spaghetti and reheat. Serve with additional parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Makes 6 to 8 servings, depending upon amount of spaghetti used. Grated american cheese may be used instead of parmesan.