Prep 2 mins
Cook 5 mins
After trying several potato soups within Zaar, I have decided for a really quick potato soup this is the way, when in a rush, that I will make it in the future. If you serve it cold in warm weather, it will be Vichyssoise.
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 21 ounces prepared mashed potatoes (from the dairy case, the fully-loaded variety)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) package low-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- Cut cream cheese into cubes and bring to room temperature.
- Put prepared mashed potatoes in soup pot. Cover with chicken broth, bring to boil, mashing with a potato masher and stirring.
- Reduce heat, add spices and cream cheese cubes. Heat until cheese melts.
My friends and I really enjoyed this. I used Simply Potatoes brand prepackaged mashed potatoes (checked the website to ensure they were gluten free). It came in a 24 oz package so I gave 3 oz to my BF to munch on until the soup was ready. :) The seasonings were great and the cream cheese really thickened it up, but I had a problem with the cheese melting all the way. Maybe it wasn't all the way up to room temperature. Anyway, with a little patience, the soup turned out wonderfully. Thank you for posting!