Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a quick soup using mainly prepackaged ingredients that can be made very quickly. I threw it together when my parents came to visit, and we all liked it very much. I used the packages I found at the store, but these exact amounts are not required. Use whatever size you can find that's close. This recipe can easily be made vegetarian by leaving out the bacon bits, or also leave out the cheese and make it vegan. Be careful with extra salt, as all the canned ingredients make this fairly salty. Wait to taste the soup after it is heated before adding more salt.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (3 ounce) packageready to serve bacon bits
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped (about 1 lb.)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans vegetable broth
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans small white beans
- 1 lb coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- salt and pepper
- shredded Italian cheese blend (parmesan, romano, asiago, etc.)
- Put soup pan on medium high heat.
- Pour olive oil in pan.
- Crisp bacon bits in oil.
- Add onion and cook until softened slightly.
- Add thyme, beans, coleslaw mix, and broth.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook until coleslaw mix is soft and soup is heated through.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve in bowls with a sprinkle of cheese.
A nice, light & healthy soup that is quite easy to put together. I cut a little more fat by only using 1 tbsp of oil. When you add the coleslaw mix, it may seem like it would need more broth, but wait until the cabbage wilts/softens and you won't need to add as much more broth as you may think. Thanx for posting!
I loved this recipe! I had to alter it for what I had on hand,.....chorizo instead of bacon, half jar of saurcrout instead of raw cabbage, grated 1frozen carrot, veg. bullion & water for broth. It was Fantastic! I can't wait to make this for my parents as well...Dad from the "South" loves the white beans, mom from Lithuania loves cabbage, and both love chorizo(more like bratwurst) since dad is half German.A natural HIT!