Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This quick and easy bread recipe allows you to share a good-looking loaf with a friend. Or make five mini loaves for the church bazarr or for freezing.
- Mix flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl combine oil and sugar; add buttermilk and eggs and mix well; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Fill 2 greased 8"x4"x2" loaf pans (or five 5"x2 1/2" mini loaf pans) about 1/3 full.
- Combine cinnamon and remaining 1 cup sugar; sprinkle half over the batter; top with remaining batter and cinnamon-sugar; swirl batter with a knife; sprinkle with nuts.
- Bake at 350°, 45-55 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean; cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
I had a previous recipe which included a TON of butter. I was intrigued by this recipe since I always use Canola oil in my baked goods (heart healthy). I also subbed 1c. of whole wheat flour in place of 1 of the cups of flour to make it more healthy. With the exception of those substitutions & reducing the cinnamon/sugar mixture to 1/2c. sugar, I made the recipe as instructed. It was plenty sweet and satisfied my craving for warm cinnamon quick bread. I also baked the entire recipe in a greased Bundt pan which always works out better for me. Tip: if you don't have buttermilk, measure 1T. of vinegar, pour into 1 c. measure and fill remaining amount with milk. (1T for each cup). Let sit for a few minutes, add in place of buttermilk.
Really good warm out of the oven! Couple of changes that I made were increasing the salt to 1-1/2 teaspoons and I also added 1 teaspoon of cinnamon to the batter itself, in addition to the cinnamon that was swirled throughout. I sprayed my loaf pans with Pam and also lined the bottoms with parchment for added ease in removing the loaves. While they were still hot I drizzled a glaze over the top that consisted of powdered sugar and French Vanilla Coffee-Mate creamer. Loved the ease of just mixing the batter up by hand really quick and not needing the mixer! This recipe has been added to my book of keepers!
My family loved it! Thank you for this easy, fast, delicious recipe. I didn't have buttermilk and used plain yogurt instead and turned out great.