Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Being Anemic I did a search for foods high in iron and farina is one of them. I didn't make this yet, it does look good! Recipe courtesy Rocco Dispirito Show: Melting Pot Episode: Mediterranean--My Family Village You can use a single type of berry or a mixture. Sliced fresh peaches or nectarines are delicious combined with the berries. Or use peeled and sliced apples when berries are out of season. A scoop of vanilla ice cream is a delicious accompaniment. I think sundried raisins,cranberries,Dried figs,apricots and prunes would make a nice addition. Which are also high in iron.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Butter a round, 2-quart baking dish and pour in the fruit.
- Mix the Farina, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a medium bowl.
- Beat the egg with the vanilla and add it to the Farina mixture.
- Mix well with a fork or fingertips until the dry ingredients are completely moistened.
- Sprinkle the topping evenly over the fruit and pour the butter evenly over it.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is lightly brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
i used blueberries, raspberries and strawberries. this was quick and easy but very sweet. i would suggest cutting the sugar to 1/2c and only using 5-6 tbsp of butter, i think it would still have the sweetness but not so overpowering. the topping is great, almost like a crispy shell over the fruit. i did sprinkle the top with cinammon. i will be making this again, next time using less sugar and butter.
The taste here is yummy. I added no sweetening to my frozen mixed berries and they were excellent without it. I can't say that I'm madly in love with the topping. I used 1/4 cup of egg white for the whole egg (I made two servings) and Splenda for the sugar which might have been a mistake for this recipe but I got a batter instead of crumbs and it had baked up rather hard at 20 mins. Overall the taste is very enjoyable and the two dishes were cleaned up as a lunch dessert today and I have a picky DH. I would have liked the crumbles but I expect that it was my diabetic editing that caused the change.
Thanks Chia for your review. I should have noted that to taste the berries and add sugar to the sweetness. At different times of the year you will find sweet berries and then they can be very tangy!