Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is the best--topped with HEINZ chili sauce before baking!
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 3⁄4 cup oats, uncooked (quick or old-fashioned)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Heinz Chili Sauce, for top
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Combine all ingredients except chili sauce. Mix lightly but thoroughly.
- Press into an 8x4-inch loaf pan.
- Zigzag top of meatloaf with chili sauce.
- Bake for 1 hour or until meat is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Drain and let stand 5 minutes before serving with more chili sauce on the side.
This is my favorite meatloaf recipe. I like using V-8 rather than tomato juice.
I have been making this recipe since I was a girl! It's one of my favorite comfort foods! Thanks for posting this!
My mom used to make this recipe when I was a kid and now I've been making this recipe for all my adult years (been eating this recipe for over 35 years). I like to use a package of onion soup mix instead of the onions, and I also like to substitute the tomato juice with spicy V-8. It gives it a nice "kick" of flavor. Very pleased with the texture of this meatloaf and my entire family thoroughly enjoys it!!