Recipe by Never Trust a Skinny Chef
Spicy, creamy comfort soup (with fiber). Skip work for the next snow day and eat this.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces chorizo sausage, crumbled casing removed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 medium onion
- 1 shallot
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1⁄2 cup diced portabella mushroom
- 1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas (drained)
- 2 chipotle chiles in adobo, diced
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 cups turkey stock or 3 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄4 cup red wine, pour yourself a glass while you cook it too (if you won't drink it, don't use it)
- 1⁄4 sherry wine
- 2 cups half-and-half
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot, heat the olive oil.
- Add the chorizo and sauté for 3-5 minutes, rendering fat.
- Add the four tablespoons butter, melt. Add carrot, onion, shallot, garlic, rosemary, thyme, portabella, chipotle pepper & chickpeas. Sprinkle with pinch salt and pinch pepper. Sauté stirring for about 10 minutes - until veggies are tender.
- Add flour and stir constantly until combined and bubbly.
- Add pinch salt and pinch pepper. Remove thyme and rosemary sprigs. Add stocks, wine and sherry.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer about 20 minutes. Add half-and-half and simmer another 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.