I first enjoyed this salad in the Purdue cafeteria while visiting my kids in 2005. They call it a "salad" but it's more like a dessert.
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drain and reserve juice
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (I use Light)
- 3 -4 medium apples, unpeeled and chopped (crisp type, like Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji or Pink Lady)
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanut, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped and drained on paper towels
- Drain pineapple very well; reserve 1/2 cup liquid and set aside. In a large bowl, combine drained pineapple and marshmallows. Allow this to sit so the marshmallows will soften while you are making the pudding.
- Pudding directions: In a saucepan, whisk flour and sugar together. Pour in 1/2 cup pineapple juice and beaten egg. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it comes to a boil. Allow to boil 1-2 minutes while whisking to thicken. Cover surface with Saran Wrap and cool (can use ice bath for quicker cooling).
- Add cooled pudding to pineapple/marshmallow mixture. Stir in diced apples and Cool Whip.
- Place in 9x13 pan, sprinkle with nuts and cherry halves.
- Note - if this sits overnight, there will be some liquid on the bottom, which can be removed so the salad doesn't get "runny".