1/1 Photo of Purdue Caramel Apple Salad
3 hrs 30 mins
I first enjoyed this salad in the Purdue cafeteria while visiting my kids in 2005. They call it a "salad" but it's more like a dessert.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (20 ounce) can pineapple tidbits, drain and reserve juice
- 2 cups mini marshmallows
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour or 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 8 ounces Cool Whip (I use Light)
- 3 -4 medium apples, unpeeled and chopped (crisp type, like Granny Smith, Gala, Fuji or Pink Lady)
- 1 cup dry roasted salted peanut, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup maraschino cherry, chopped and drained on paper towels
- 1Drain pineapple very well; reserve 1/2 cup liquid and set aside. In a large bowl, combine drained pineapple and marshmallows. Allow this to sit so the marshmallows will soften while you are making the pudding.
- 2Pudding directions: In a saucepan, whisk flour and sugar together. Pour in 1/2 cup pineapple juice and beaten egg. Cook over medium heat, stirring until it comes to a boil. Allow to boil 1-2 minutes while whisking to thicken. Cover surface with Saran Wrap and cool (can use ice bath for quicker cooling).
- 3Add cooled pudding to pineapple/marshmallow mixture. Stir in diced apples and Cool Whip.
- 4Place in 9x13 pan, sprinkle with nuts and cherry halves.
- 5Note - if this sits overnight, there will be some liquid on the bottom, which can be removed so the salad doesn't get "runny".
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Purdue Caramel Apple Salad
Serving Size: 1 (154 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 279.2
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 5.5 g
- Cholesterol 17.6 mg
- Sodium 171.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 26.3 g
- Protein 5.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: