A friend of mine made these for me after we went on a nice morning walk with our new babies, and then shared the recipe with me. Since then, it has become a favorite (especially with my kiddos!), and I have also changed up the recipe to make them healthier. My husband prefers these served with fresh whipped cream; however, they are pretty good with butter and maple syrup.
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (I typically substitute 1/4 c. honey)
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- ground nutmeg, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup buttermilk
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup canned pumpkin
- Sift all dry ingredients into mixing bowl. In a separate bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Pour the wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir just until combined.
- Pour waffle batter on preheated waffle iron and cook until the waffles are a deep golden brown, approximately 4-5 minutes (the cooking time may vary depending upon your waffle iron). Serve with butter, maple syrup and whipped cream, if desired.
- Freeze any leftover waffles and reheat in the toaster for a quick breakfast on another morning.