Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I found a recipe similar to this a few months ago and have since tweaked it to my tastes and made it several times. These cupcakes are perfect for the Holiday season. The frosting is to die for! You have to try these scrumptious cupcakes!!!
- 510.29 g box spice cake mix
- 425.24 g can pumpkin
- 118.29 ml applesauce
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2.46 ml cinnamon
- 1.23 ml nutmeg
- 1.23 ml pumpkin pie spice
CINNAMON-MAPLE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING
- 118.29 ml butter, softened
- 113.39 g cream cheese, softened
- 473.18 ml powdered sugar
- 29.58 ml maple syrup
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- CUPCAKES: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 24 standard muffin cups.
- Whisk together cake mix, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and pumpkin pie spice in large bowl.
- Add the eggs, applesauce, and pumpkin and beat with an electric mixer until thoroughly combined.
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling them about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Transfer cupcakes to wire rack and let cool completely before spreading with frosting.
- FROSTING: Make sure the butter & cream cheese are SOFT. Beat the butter in bowl with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the cream cheese and beat together until well blended.
- Add the maple syrup and cinnamon. Mix until well combined.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy, and frosting consistency is formed. **If frosting is too thick for your liking, you can add 1 tablespoon of milk at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.**.
- Spread frosting evenly over cupcakes and Enjoy!
These were very yummy! I left out the sugar, because I didn't think between the cake mix and the applesauce it was really needed. The maple cinnamon icing was amazing and complemented the cake perfectly. I was uncertain about adding the extra spices to the batter, since I was using a spice cake mix, but I did, and it wasn't detrimental, though I wouldn't say it's entirely essential either.