Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
From perfect entertaining: This savory dish, a variation of Sloppy Joes with a Halloween twist is very flavorful and unique. Sloppy Joes don't have to go far to look slightly disgusting and messy, and this version is sure to please all those sloppy eaters. This is also a very low fat dish that is perfect to serve to mixed company. Kids will love the sloppiness and adults will appreciate the slightly more "grown up" flavor. This is great on rolls or thick slices of French bread, my preference.
- In a large heavy saucepan brown the ground turkey over medium high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium and add the onions. Cook until the onions are almost soft and translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for additional minute or two.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover, reduce the heat, and simmer for 15 minutes. Serve hot.
We liked these, but it was hard to get past the pumpkin! If I made them again I would make them the day before because they got better and better every time I ate them.
What a cool idea! I love this, so easy and healthy. I used the tomato sauce, but I would use even more next time, or a combination of sauce and tomatoes, to make it more "sloppy." I will also use more sweetener next time, as we prefer a sweet joe. Loved the onion. Thanks ellie!