Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I know, actual cooked quinoa IN the muffins... but really give them try, it's great way to add some whole grains into your diet. It's also best to make sure you cook the quinoa well so that it's not too moist and sticky.
- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, cooked and drained
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup shelled sunflower seeds or 1⁄4 cup pepitas
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Oil or butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with muffin tin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pie 3. spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the quinoa, separating the grains with a fork to distribute evenly.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, then add the pumpkin, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Gradually stir into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins and sprinkle sunflower seeds on top of each muffin. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the muffins are browned around edges and a tester comes out clean. Let the muffins rest for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.
I made several changes to this recipe to make them dairy, egg and gluten free. To my delight, they were DELICIOUS! I used a gluten free all purpose flour + 1/2 t xanthan gum in place of the flour. I used flax meal as an egg replacer ( recipe#104832 ), rice milk in place of the buttermilk, and oil in place of the butter. I also used pecans in place of the seeds due to personal preference. I find quinoa to have a strong taste that sometimes turns me off. To my surprise, the pumpkin and spices really helped to subdue the quinoa. I also really enjoyed the texture that the quinoa added to the muffins. The middle was soft and moist while the quinoa on the outside became toasty and crunchy. Yum! I just loved these muffins. This is a must try!