Quinoa Salad With Lime Ginger Dressing and Shrimp
This salad has a ginger lime dressing, scallions, cilantro and a bit of heat. Can be served as a side dish or a light meal. Cooked quinoa will keep for 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator. You can make the dressing and prepare the ingredients for the salad a few hours ahead. Quinoa (pronounced keen-wah) is not a grain; it is actually a seed and related to the spinach family. When cooked, quinoa is light, fluffy, slightly crunchy and subtly flavored. It actually cooks and tastes like a grain, making it an excellent replacement for grains that are difficult to digest. Compared to other grains, quinoa is higher in calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, iron, copper, manganese, and zinc than wheat, barley, or corn. Published in the New York Times, Nov. 8, 2008.
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, freshly squeezed if possible
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, minced (more to taste)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- salt, to taste
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil or 2 teaspoons walnut oil
- 1⁄4 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons buttermilk
- 3 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup uncooked)
- 4 scallions, white and light green parts, sliced thin
- 1 small cucumber, halved, seeded and thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 12 -16 cooked medium shrimp, peeled
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together the lime juice, rice wine vinegar, ginger, garlic, salt, cayenne, sesame oil, canola oil, and buttermilk.
- In a salad bowl, combine the quinoa, scallions, cucumber, and cilantro.
- Toss with the dressing and divide among salad plates, top each portion with 3 or 4 shrimp, and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
Join The Conversation
This is a wonderful little salad. We thoroughly enjoyed it. This was quick and easy to put together. Isn't quinoa just the best little seed for salads? The flavours are well balanced...and it looks pretty on the plate. This will be made alot this summer (if the snow goes)!! Thank you Kat's Mom for sharing. I made this for New Kids on the Block Tag.