- 1 1⁄4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup quinoa, cooked and drained
- 2 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened canned pumpkin
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup shelled sunflower seeds or 1⁄4 cup pepitas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Oil or butter a 12-cup muffin tin or line with muffin tin liners.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, pie 3. spice, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Add the quinoa, separating the grains with a fork to distribute evenly.
- In another bowl, beat the eggs, then add the pumpkin, buttermilk, butter, and vanilla extract. Whisk until the mixture is smooth. Gradually stir into the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into muffin tins and sprinkle sunflower seeds on top of each muffin. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the muffins are browned around edges and a tester comes out clean. Let the muffins rest for 5 minutes, then turn them out onto a wire rack to cool.