Recipe by WI Cheesehead
I know. How can a diary/soy/gluten free pie taste good? It really does! The texture wasn't quite as firm though. The recipe comes from godairyfree.com and calls for a gluten free pie crust. I am adding in the almond meal crust I used, or you can use your own. It has coconut milk, but you can't taste the coconut. I also used 3 tsp pumpkin pie spice instead. I would recommend a larger pie tin for this, as I had to scoop some out into a custard cup to bake separately.
Top Review by swoozie28
Unbelievable! The best pumpkin pie I have ever eaten. I did use a dairy free/gluten free premade pie crust and I used the lite coconut milk. My family could not believe it was dairy and gluten free. Excellent!! Thank you for such a great recipe!
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg or 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup regular coconut milk (not lite)
- 1 1⁄2 cups almond meal or 1 1⁄2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons Earth Balance margarine, melted
- 1 teaspoon stevia or 3 tablespoons sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat your oven to 425ºF. (Unless using the recipe's pie crust - see pie crust directions.).
- Combine the sugars, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg or allspice, cloves and salt in a small bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the sugar mixture, pumpkin, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in the coconut milk.
- Pour the filling into the pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 350ºF and continue to bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted comes out clean. It may be a bit wobbly still, but it will firm-up as it cools.
- Allow the pie to cool on a wire rack for 2 hours (Be patient! This is important). Serve or refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Pie Crust Directions:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Melt margarine and mix all ingredients directly in the pie pan. Pat into place with your fingertips.
- Bake for about 10 minutes (I baked mine about 20 and it never browned), until the crust is beginning to brown. Once it starts to brown it will burn quickly, so keep an eye on it.