Opal's Pumpkin Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin (or fresh cooked equivalent)
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 well beaten eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells
- Combine first 8 ingredients in a large bowl, mixing well.
- Combine the evaporated milk and the heavy cream in a small saucepan.
- Heat the milks to the scalding point.
- Add scalded milks to the other ingredients, mixing well.
- Pour equally into the two UNBAKED pie shells.
- Bake 350 degrees for about 1 hour.
- Pie is done when a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Top with desired topping.
Join The Conversation
Great! I did halve the ground cloves, but other than that, made it as directed. I also had to bake quite a bit longer than stated. My knife never did come out clean, but after 25 extra minutes, I decided that would be enough! Everyone loved it!I made it again yesterday. I was tempted to crisp up the crust by cooking it a bit first because the first ones I made, the crust (underneath) was a bit soggy. I decided to follow the directions on the Libby's can for baking. (bake at 425 far. for 15 minutes, and at 350 far. for between 40 and 50 minutes)Following this recipe, but Libby's baking instructions turned out much better for me.Update, 2011: I still use the Libby's baking instructions, but other than that, follow this recipe to the letter. People BEG for this pie! It is the best! Update 2017: My daughter always asks me for the recipe. I still make it on special occasions, and everyone still loves it! I highly recommend this pie!
I would give this more than 5 stars if I could! Pumpkin pie is my favorite and this is the best I've ever had. Everyone who ate it on Thanksgiving agreed. I'm replacing my old favorite recipe with this one! Update: 11/22/17 Wow, I can’t believe I’ve been making this pie for ten years now. That’s a true testament to just how good this recipe is.