Fluffy Pumpkin Pie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 3 1⁄2 cups cooked pumpkin or 3 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons light molasses
- 3 tablespoons bourbon whiskey (desirable, optional) (optional) or 3 tablespoons dark rum (desirable) (optional)
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon clove
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup milk (a few droplets more if mixture is stiff)
- 5 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat over to 450 degrees.
- Blend together the first 13 ingredients.
- Beat the egg whites until slightly foaming.
- Beat in a pinch of salt and continue beating to form soft peaks.
- Beat in the sugar and continue beating to make stiff, shining peaks.
- Beat 1/4 of the whites into the pumpkin mixture and delicately fold in the remainder.
- At once, ladle the mixture into the pie shell(s) filling only to the rim of the pan.
- Immediately, bake the pie(s) in the middle level of the preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- When rim of crust colors lightly, reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake 15 minutes more - lower heat if pastry browns to much.
- Lower heat again to 350 degrees and continue baking another 15 minutes or so, until the filling 2 inches from the edge of the pie is done (when you insert a skewer it will come out clean).
- Turn off the oven, leave door ajar and let pie sit for 20-30 minutes more.
- Serve warm or cold with whipped cream or ice cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!