Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2⁄3 cup water
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 16 ounces cooked mashed pumpkin
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped walnuts
- 1 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease and flour bottoms of two 5 X 9 inch loaf pans (or 4 smaller loaf pans).
- Combine oil, water, eggs, sugar, and pumpkin.
- Blend until well creamed.
- In seperate bowl, combine dry ingredients EXCEPT nuts and raisins.
- Add mixture by thirds until dry ingredients are moist (do not overmix!).
- Add nuts and raisins.
- Pour into loaf pans and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- NOTE~~If tops brown too quickly, reduce oven to 300 degrees.
- Tops should be peaked and cracked.
- Cool for 30-60 minutes before removing from pan, then place on rack to finish cooling.
- Double wrap to store.
- Freezes well.
A very moist, flavorful loaf, even when I replaced all the oil with applesauce as suggested by Dale. I also cut the amount of sugar I used by half--using 1 cup white sugar and 1/2 cup brown sugar. Plus I added 1/2 tsp of powdered stevia natural sweetner extract and it came out really sweet enough. I also added a few tablespoons of dried cranberries in the spirit of Thanksgiving and it looked very beautiful studded with the nuts, raisins and cranberries. Even my husband and toddler who usually don't like loaf breads thought this one was yummy and enjoyed it as a snack. We've finished the first loaf and the second loaf is in the freezer waiting for when we want something sweet in the afternoon.
You're right this was super yummy! This is also the first time I have made a loaf like this wih pumpkin in it! I cut the recipe in half to make just 1 delicious loaf. I also replaced all the oil with applesauce to lower the fat and it came out great. I love the walnuts and currants (didn't have raisins, but currants are similar) in the bread also. I ate this warm straightaway, but I imagine it will be even better tomorrow.