Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
One of my favorite dessert to make around October. They are really just divine! They are a Cake-like pumpkin brownies made more interesting and flavorful with swirls of cream cheese batter.
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 egg
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Butter and flour an 11x7-inch baking pan. Heat oven to 350°.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter with brown sugar, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 eggs until light and creamy. Beat in pumpkin puree. In another bowl, combine 1 cup of flour with baking powder, soda, salt, and spices. Slowly beat into the first mixture until well blended. Spread in prepared baking pan.
- n a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, 1 egg, confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 2 tablespoons flour. Beat for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy. Spoon onto the pumpkin batter. Using a small narrow spatula or butter knife, swirl the cream cheese batter into the pumpkin batter.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
These came out very tasty and moist. I used this recipe as an experiment for my diabetic husband and it came out great. I used butternut squash (that I roasted and cooled) and substituted various types of Splenda for the sugars and they worked well.
A must try recipe. I doubled the recipe and baked in a 10x15x1 jelly roll type pan. They are quite like pumpkin bars in texture and density. The swirled in cream cheese is divine and the bars are nice and moist. A definite keeper and new family favorite. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)