Recipe by **Mandy**
Damper is an Australian Bread. A very quick & simple side to make using mashed pumpkin. A beautiful golden colour when cooked, best served warm straight from the oven but will keep for a few days wrapped in plastic or an airtight container.
Top Review by Lalaloula
mandy, this damper is just fantastic!!!! It is easy to make, has a wonderful crunchy crust with a lovely soft interior and such a great taste! Mmmm! The chives and the pumpkin pair really well and the cheese adds a lovely gooey goodness. I made my own pumpkin mash out of fresh hokkaido, so that it was rather wet and I left out the milk to compensate for that. The dough was easy to work with and I will surely make this again! THANK YOU SO MUCH for sharing this winner with us! Made and reviewed for 1-2-3-Hit Wonders June 2010.
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 30 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup mashed pumpkin
- 1⁄4 cup grated tasty cheese
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- salt & pepper
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- extra grated cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 220.C.
- Sift flour into a bowl, add butter & rub in using fingertips.
- Blend in pumpkin, cheese, chives & seasonings. Add combined egg & milk, mix quickly to a soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface & knead lightly, form into a round.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray and brush with a little milk, sprinkle with extra cheese.
- Bake for 10 mins then reduce heat to 180.C, bake for a further 15-20 mins or until damper sound hollow when tapped.
- Serve warm & buttered.